Monday, March 23, 2009

Signs of Spring - Last week of February 2009

It seems like it's been a long winter here in lower Sussex County, NJ this year. Spring is definitely my favorite season so I've really been looking forward to it this year. I know it's far from time to plant anything in my vegetable gardens but the other weekend I thought I'd get a head start and throw some compost onto my beds. Sadly, spring was not as ready as I was and my compost pile was still frozen solid.

I've decided to start keeping a list of when certain things happen to remind me that the warm weather is on it's way.

Last week of February 2009

- Plants being fooled into sprouting - we had a few warm days and a few bulbs started to peek there heads out. I say they were fooled because they have not done too much since then...

- Woodpeckers pecking - we are far enough away from the hustle and bustle that there are plenty of nature sounds in our yard.

- Pheasants on CR 605 - they are really beautiful birds but they have to be the slowest stupidest things ever. There is a stretch of 605 that I can't drive along without seeing a dead pheasant on the side of the road. How do birds get hit by cars that frequently unless they are slow and stupid?

- Flock of 15 turkeys in our backyard - Our dog Red warned me that there was something going on outside in the yard. So I came upstairs to see what he was barking about. About 15 wild turkeys were jumping around in our yard. I have video of this and I'll see if I can post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment